Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Indians Ask Delhi Police Chief to Resign over Rape Case

TEHRAN (FNA)- People took to streets of the Indian capital to demand resignation of the New Delhi police chief, following a recent rape case of a five year old girl.

Indians staged a demonstration in New Delhi asking Neeraj Kumar to step down as police escorted the second accused in a vehicle to the court on Tuesday, Reuters reported.

"We are urging Neeraj Kumar to step down from his chair. We are asking him to step down if he is not able to do anything. We are seeing since November- December that this person is least concerned about the safety of women and he is sitting on the chair despite the string of incidents pertaining to the safety of women. We are telling him that we are ready to organize a religious ceremony for him, we are ready to pray in the temple, but we are requesting him for God's sake, please step down from your chair," one of the protesters said.

Women and children could also be seen among the protesters.

On Monday, Kumar refused to resign and stated that his resignation would not help ensuring justice in the case.

The second suspect, Pradeep Kumar, 19, was arrested on Monday in the Eastern state of Bihar, where the first suspect, Manoj Kumar, was apprehended early Saturday morning.

The two men have been arrested on suspicion that they abducted the 5-year-old girl on April 14 and taking her into Manoj Kumar's apartment, where they raped her several times. The girl was found semiconscious in the apartment two days later.

Also on Monday, hundreds of people demonstrated in New Delhi for the fourth consecutive day in protest against the conduct of police dealing with the kidnapping and rape of the girl.

The five-year-old girl, whose name has not been revealed, has undergone surgery and was in stable condition on Monday.

The assault on the little girl has evoked memories of the horrific gang rape by six men of a 23-year-old medical student on a moving bus on December 16, 2012, in New Delhi. She succumbed to her injuries in a hospital in Singapore on December 29.

The horrific nature of the crime shocked Indians, who thronged the streets, demanding protection for women and capital punishment for rape, which currently carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

No comments:

Post a Comment